Friday, April 28, 2006

Dad is gettin' Old

Wellllll!

I am now the father of two young ladies who have inexplicably been admitted to high school! How in heaven's name did that happen? Granted, one of them still has to avoid failure in middle school, but she rises to a crisis fairly well.

I am almost as optimistic as I am amazed. The high school is a premier magnet school for fine arts-types.
One got in as a piano major, and beat out dozens of other kids (including her sister) to do so. She does like the prospect, but isn't sure she wants to devote four more years to piano. I politely tell her to remember that it might well be her meal ticket into college and so shuddupalreddy. She's good but spoiled. She can also pull off a tight target group at a gun range with a revolver, so she's no slouch. She just wants what she wants. When she starts dating, I will no doubt have a smile on that will make the boy nervous, knowing that he is in for more than he bargained for. God help the lad, but you date a beautiful girl, you better do it with your eyes open.

The other girl is a wonder as well. She didn't pass her entry audition, even though she like her sister plays three instruments. But during the meeting to schedule her sister's classes, God intervened with humor and awesome grace. The lead teacher of the video and movie production major just happened to be in the room and just happened to see in my daughter the same truculent, grumpy, sass-riddled spark of genius that I have seen all along. And she was right. During the tour of the production facilities in the bowels of the high school, a light went on in my daughter's head, then in her eyes and soul. She actually loves this major without having any real experience. Her sheer enthusiasm and will to get going got her in the program! I have rarely seen anything like it, but I am proud for her. I may well live with the next Geraldo Rivera under my very roof.

Two years behind them (They ARE twins, and heaven help the high school), their baby brother is trying hard not to fail sixth grade. Eventually, he will burn through any audition as though he's a member of the Fantastic Four. He will have no problem in life, if he doesn't screw himself up by failing at life's simpler points. Like, handing in homework. Like getting over the notion that yes, I am a brilliant musician. (We may have to put a shunt in to alleviate the cranial swelling.) He plays college-level piano and violin with amazing alacrity. He picked up trumpet and in a year plays the best horn in his class. He is a natural. But naturals are cursed with the temptation to make a wreck of their lives. He scares adults who see him coming and we pray he doesn't fly into a brick wall. But should he learn life as he learns music, I could also be the proud father of a star.

Of course, they're ALL equally jealous of each other, and that is the fun of it all. Jennifer now wants Crystal's major, Crystal want's Jennifer's ability to succeed. Bob just wants to be out from under his twin sisters and of course he knows more than they do. And it is all a part of growin' up. The summer ahead may well be a classic.

-The Big Fisch
><+> (Swimming in search of a calm pond)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home