Election Recap- "So?"
Alright.
The dust has mostly settled from the 2006 election, and it’s time to look at the places where the chips fell. I think my initial reaction is that I’m glad I didn’t lose a lot of sleep.
The “Bush lied, and people (somebody, not any of my pointy-headed liberal friends, of course) died” bumper-sticker liberals will be insufferable today. For the next two years, Nancy Pelosi will don the rainbow-colored mantle of Speaker of the House, unless the democrats in a fit of reason replace her. God help us if we ever lose Bush and Cheney to an accident or act of (democrat-inspired) terrorism.
As a Floridian, I have to yawn and ask, “So?”
As I write, the Dems won the house, which was predicted. They have not yet clinched the senate, and may not. They took six, count em, six, seats from the GOP. Nobody – NOBODY who lives West of Taxachusetts and East of San Franwierdo can hope to call that a mandate of the people. What it does do is raise the odds slightly that Donald (“Vietnam? Who,Me?”) Rumsfeld and GOP chair Melman will be booted into low earth orbit, and good riddance. Imagine, ladies and gentlemen, a scenario where the people of the USofA elect the pink, shiny faces of the Democrats to put a halt to Republican spending and secure the borders! And I thought I was the one who wrote science fiction for a hobby!
Elsewhere,
· The incumbents in Florida won. They usually do. And they did again.
· Our new Governor, Charlie Crist, is a Republican, as is most of his cabinet.
· A local smut peddler lost in his campaign, and a non-binding directive to the Hillsborough County commission to box the ears of strip joints “to the fullest extent of the law” passed overwhelmingly!
· Two of the three anti-big-government candidates in the local city council race in my town won handily.
· And even if she lost (Thank you, GOP leaders and radio jocks who buried her months beforehand), Katherine Harris picked up 1.5 million votes! Those 1,500,00 voters are going to watch incumbent do-zilch senator Bill Nelson very closely from here on in.
So, yawn. If the Democrats want to find a mandate today, they’re going to have to borrow an electron microscope to find it. And who knows? Maybe the election will spur Jeb Bush to try his own White House bid in ’08. If so, we’d all be better off because of this election- in the long run.
The Big Fisch
(Going back to bed)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home